Friday, March 6, 2009

No Extra Points for Stoics

This week has shown me how lucky I've been till now to be relatively pain free. While we're waiting for the new drug to take effect, which could be up to three months, the cancer cells appear to be having a heyday in the vicinity of my right lung. The irritation refers pain to my shoulders and lower ribs and does a good job of distracting me from other things. My doctor gives no extra points for stoics and said today I better get used to the fact I'm going to be needing the heavier stuff, i.e., narcotics.

Monday night found me weeping in Jeff's arms in the dark, not because of the pain, but because of a presentiment that I may have a lot fewer days ahead of me than I had counted on. As Magda's daughter tells her when Magda cannot be dissuaded from marrying the gringo and following him north to Montana: Don't be dramatic, Mama. This is not a telenovela!

On that score, Magda's story is up to page forty (lost a little time trying to get that distracting pain under control), which completes part one. Here's Magda just prior to the marriage proposal she's helped orchestrate:

The three of them sat on benches at a long table covered with red and white oilcloth and speared rosy shrimp from huge cocktails. Sr. Karl shook his head appreciatively and said,"Buen-o, buen-o."
"Lo mejor--the best!" agreed Roberto.
Magda dabbed at her lips with a paper napkin, as pleased with their praise as if she, herself, were the shrimp.


Jeff is in Washington, D.C. at his annual transportation conference this week. Had to be nudged to go with promises I'll be all right. Sweet Pea Valarie insists I'm to call her if I have the slightest twinge in the night. She'll rush right over. Jesse's here this weekend and my darling sister Lorie comes on Monday from Missoula to keep me company and help organize my head for the things I really do need to tend to. She also does Zumba. Grab the hook--we'll be clattering across the stage together!

As always,
Diane

4 comments:

Sally said...

I love whenever you post passages from your novel. Is this really first draft? If so, I'm truly envious. My first drafts stink worst than an anaerobic compost pile.

I've said this before to you, but I'm glad you don't hold back with this blog. The ups, the downs, I so appreciate you willingness to share them. Noww here's to the narcotics kicking in so you can go back to doing the things you love without pain.

Will Sanderlin said...

Okay, so I looked up Zumba on the net. Found a YouTube demo.

My, my.

Now I, need to be hugged in the night.

Judi G. said...

Hello Dear Diane,

Here's to the wonder of medicine...take those narcotics to ease the pain and here's to your wonderfully supportive family.

Best Wishes,

Judi

Deb Lund said...

Here's my new plan. I'm going to ride on your novel coattails, believing that if I'm writing with you, we'll both get our novels finished. I think that Zumba is going to give this one that extra boost of energy. Have fun with your word play. Story really is how we make sense of our lives, isn't it! Writing (and those narcotics) may provide just the distraction and imagery that will serve you best. You and Magda are on a roll -- live loudly!